Thread: Disting Mk4

how do you mean?
remembering what they are? try using fewer algos - favourites help! and/or manual on laptop/tablet/phone
access to knobs? re-arrange case so that there is more space either side...
setting precise values? re-arrange case so that the screen is easier to see... which can be difficult

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Plaits is probably my least favourite mutable module - although I do use it quite a bit - even if it is just for hats... I must spend some more time with it again...

Tides is fantastic though - I have both versions - I especially like the phased mode on the one you have - although both get used in nearly every patch I make - great for both audio and modulation

Marbles - I like it a lot - one thing that helped was increasing the length of the gates so that they were more useful for opening envelopes (as well as just triggering percussion)

When I look at your racks - both versions - I see a serious lack of basic utility modules - these massively help in terms of plumbing... sub-mixers, matrix mixer, mults, logic, rectification etc etc... when extending I'd be tempted to keep the doepfer case too - so you have room to add a lot more of these...

as for flow - I'm guessing you mean workflow here - ie patching things together - as I said above more utilities, which should be distributed throughout - but also I find something along the lines of the layout of the 2600 - from top, left - sound sources, modulation, effects (including filters) and controllers/sequencers and end of chain mixing at the bottom - but this assumes that you actually have the cases arranged as depicted, one on top of the other

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

I can confirm what farkasa says about the BSP - I have one, works perfectly without a midi->cv interface

kinks - or a clone of, as discontinued

when you get the next case invest in some blank panels - or make some - and spread out a bit - might keep the GAS in check a bit - I know it does mine!

yeah - I'd go for a quad lfo, envelope generator and some more utilities - but then I'd also probably want another row or 2 to put them in 2 many sound sources for me in this size case!

hahhahaaha @sacguy71 - maybe that's a bit big to start with...

NP - what's that case a mantis? - you should be able to carry 3 reasonably easily - 1 on your back and 1 in each hand... at least for shortish distances! hahahaha...

I agree completely with farkas...

dump most of the tiny modules and the magneto and the dsp2 - replace the magneto and dsp 2 with a couple of fx aid xls

also think about the mixing - you have no way near enough mixer channels in here to deal with multiple waveforms from the vcos (wavetable has 2 & vco2 has 5) and all the percussion modules (sample drum 2, hat 1 & drum2 1) so that's up to 11 sound source channels - without taking into consideration and parallel processing you might want to do...

you're on the right track with the unity mixer - but no where near enough imo

also a real lack of vcas - use them for modulation as well as audio - I'd want at least 1 quad cascading vca - probably 2 (which may mean you need 1 less sub-mixer)

the euclidean module is a bit pointless - Pams can do euclidean well enough!

is the black sequencer a bit overkill? unless you are planning on case 2 with another 2 plus melodic sources in it I would suggest thinking of something smaller - if you are thinking of adding that second case then the black sequencer is a great idea - you'll be familiar with a sequencer that has you covered for a long time early on - so no second learning curve with a new sequencer down the line

I'd consider going with a tesseract modular tex-mix (reasonably priced and expandable) instead of the cosmix - and some blind panels - and put the money you save towards the next case - then there's no issue with only having a few hp to fill... you'll have lots of space, so can get whatever modules you want no matter the size... at least for a while!

okish - some thoughts:

needs more utilities to get the most out of the 'expensive shiny modules'

more mixers - a simple cheapish mixer would add the ability to mix 2 vcos (or in the case of the doepfer 2 or more waveforms) before hitting a filter

attenuators - always useful and inexpensive

another modulation source is a great idea - to complement maths - which is fantastic but really should be seen as maths - see 'maths illustrated supplement' - it's a great jumping of point and learning tool for patch-programming and patching in general - but another modulation source would add a lot - especially when combined with a matrix mixer

possibly also an envelope generator - an adsr if you want to sound like a keyboard - or something less complex if you're not so bothered

end of chain mixer - it might be a better idea to get a bigger one now (so you are not selling this one to get a bigger one in the future) - there are also expandable mixers - at the lower end of the market - tesseract tex-mix is good value for money - nb sidechaining/ducking can be easily patched by mixing the envelope of the sound source you want to duck and an inverted copy of the envelope of the sound source you want to sidechain and then use that into the cv input of the vca you're sending your

I'd go for the fx aid xl over the milky way - it's more versatile

for the utilities - doepfer is a great brand - inexpensive and reliable - also really good for other things like classic filter designs and vcos etc

if you are already thinking larger - go larger now - you will save money on cases - I'd definitely recommend the tiptop mantis - probably best bang for buck starter case (hp/cost/quality of power/reputation of manufacturer) - or it you are building a case - the befaco excalibus power supply is very good...

this will allow you to get bigger modules - a lot of the modules you have in the current rack are very small and especially when placed next to each other will be very cramped/possibly unplayable - some of them are only just over 1cm wide and when patched may not have access to the trimmers - which can also be difficult to use/not very precise compared to full size knobs

I would choose between either midi control or a sequencer in a starter case - if you choose sequencer - you'll almost definitely want a 2 channel quantizer with the sequencer you have chosen - if you actually want to play notes

nb you'll probably also want a tuner - either on your phone or a pedal - to tune the vco

I'd also recommend more attenuators - clouds (uBurst) - really needs these - likes very small amounts of modulation

I'd also recommend more vcas - use them for modulation

probably a good idea to plan to get another modulation source asap too

please post a link to the actual rack - copy and paste the url

Thread: Starter kit

Hi Peter...

a well worn route is

a sound source, a sound modifier, a modulation source, a way to play and a way to listen...

sound source get something that's a decent size - remember it will need to be tuned - plaits is often seen as a good starter
sound modifier - either a filter or possibly a multi-effect like fx aid xl
modulation source - can't go wrong with maths - see the 'maths illustrated supplement' as a to why - it's a great jumping off point for learning patch-programming (a powerful technique in modular synthesis) and patching in general
a way to play - straight into your mixer - if you get clipping - insert some passive attenuators - they'll always be useful...
a way to play - midi->cv interface if that's what you want...

I'd also add a starter set of utilities - I usually recommend: links, kinks, shades and veils - or modules that cover the same functionality - kinks is discontinued, but there's at least one clone available, happy nerding 3*mia is a good substitute for shades

vcv rack's a great place to start...

have fun!

Thread: Starter kit

Hi all,
I've had some exposure to analog synths (1980s-90s), trackers with samples (90s), then took a break and restarted a year ago with a wavetable synth (Argon8x) and several soft synths in Logic (e.g. Sculpture). Because most of this was slow, plodding development of tunes in a DAW or other editor, I'm looking to break it all open and enjoy the unbridled live madness of modular.

I've added a bunch of 2HP oscillators because they take little space, yet seem quite capable. For noise, I went with something a little more flexible. Then there's LFO/EG and some effects. Finally, the Erica Black stereo mixer with PFL so I can hear first, then mix in. Planning on getting some patch-through cables to split the signal into stereo for the mixer.

Hi Arrandan,

have you ever seen an actual eurorack module? you do know that 1hp = 1/5" - 2hp is tiny and the trimmers that they use are not very precise - tuning can be a pain because of this

also putting them next to each other will make them practically unusable...

I'm planning to use this setup with a Torso T-1. I thought I'd need the Bastl 1983 for that, but it seems there's more CV connectivity than I thought. So I guess that one can go. Saves me a pretty penny and 7HP.

I'd like to use this mounted into my racks in my home studio, yet take it out into a portable box when playing elsewhere. Is that doable?

theoretically - but I wouldn't start like that - I'd start with a mantis - yeah it's more expensive - but it will give you the ability to expand and it has significantly better power supply than the b-company - and won't fit in your 19" rack... but it is portable and is probably the best case for starters (hp/cost/quality of power/reputable company)

otherwise you'll be buying more racks in the near future as you realize that you need more modules to do anything interesting and have replaced your 2hp vcos with modules that you can actually play and enjoy using

I wanted to add the JPG here, but it seems like ModularGrid updates that infrequently. So here's the link straight to the rack config.

StarterKit on ModularGrid
-- Arrandan

good you didn't - they're crap for getting help - the link is 1000* better!

ok so you have 3 vcos, but nothing to mix them before hitting the 2 filters - it's kind of a typical subtractive synth concept to mix the 2 identical ones (slightly detuned) - needs a sub-mixer...

all your sound sources and sound modifiers are mono, but your end of chain mixer is expecting stereo inputs - needs a way of panning mono into a stereo field...

sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if you go and buy this I think you will be seriously disappointed with what you can do with it - at least without buying quite a few more modules & more rack space

I suggest doing a lot more research into modular synthesis - read a good 10-20 newbie threads, of which there are a lot here and then create a new rack which might actually work....

there's a couple of hints in my signature...

I want a place to make intricate backdrops for louder stories to be layered on top. what I’m getting at is that I may be asking too little for a world of options and criteria that demands as much as it does from the player.

it's good that you know what you want

the case you specified will not get you there though

but is a good starting point to expand upon - once you've had a think come back and have another go...

I'd spend the extra few quid and get a real rings - you don't save that much space with the nano version (or money)
and due to the number of jacks even the full size one can feel a little cramped - also it's notoriously difficult to 'tune' perfectly and trimmers, at least in my experience, are much less accurate

have fun...

just to add to what @Lugia said:

get the mantis - just do the simple maths of cost/hp and see what a waste of money the 60hp case + power is compared to the mantis - it's more than double the cost per hp - and you will need those hp sooner or later... it'll also allow you to go for full size modules - a lot of people are surprised by how small eurorack modules are when they actually get them - as they've never seen or touched them before they actually receive their first modules - remember 1u is 1.75" and 1hp is 1/5" - when you start plugging cables into them and try to access the knobs/switches etc - they can be really cramped - and the tiny trimmers that you tend to get on smaller modules are not only really small, but precision is difficult with them...

there's no modulation - you are going to want more than just a random source for modulation - I like Maths as a starter modulation module - see the maths illustrated supplement - it's a great introduction to patching techniques - take the ideas in there and run with them....

there's no where near enough utilities - see my signature - I like a starter set of links, kinks, shades and veils - they cover a lot of bases - which need covering - substitutes are available - Happy Nerding 3*MIA is a good substitute for shades for example - but you will need these modules and more to add variety and complexity

take you time - there's no need to fill a case immediately - but buy or make some blind panels to prevent nasty accidents! nothing dangerous - but they can be seriously annoying if you manage to blow up your power supply and are without your synth until it gets fixed!

I've got a couple of the god's box lollipops - DIY - and work fine for me when I need compression - usually use one on the portland (drum synth) as that's mono to fatten it up a bit...

ok I had a quick look at your jpg - urgh

@Lugia is 100% correct

too many sound sources, not enough sound processors, not enough modulation sources (or envelopes) - performer looks like it outputs gates - which are on/off envelopes generally used to open and determine the length of more complex envelopes, and definitely not enough utilities

look at the formula in my signature - it is the best way to get a balanced modular that offers the most versatility for the least expense

you have 7-9 sound sources, 3 sound modifiers etc etc

only 1 envelope and a fucking huge delay which takes up 1/2 a row nearly...

have a serious think about your mixing solutions including the i/o module

on the upper row - plaits is dual mono, as is the twin waves, rings is stereo ish, morphagene is stereo going into a wasp (mono) and a huge delay (stereo) and your have only an stmix to mix on that is 4 stereo ins + a stereo aux for the drum mixer - no panning of mono sound sources and no send/return - unless you count the vca - which isn't particularly useful for stereo mixing - and then you have no vcas for cv - not really up to the job

on the lower row - peaks (if used for drums) is dual mono, plonk is mono and you also have sample drum (not sure as no click through but probably mono) and fx aid which is stereo - again no panning or send/return for the mixer

and where are you getting a peaks from - used or cloned? as it's been discontinued for at least 3 years! everyhting else is at least kind of available - in production - but pandemic is fucking that up quite a bit still and for at least the next year!

on top of that there's no sub mixers to allow you to patch multiple sound sources to the same filter or combine modulation sources (a matrix mixer is good for this!!!)

and that's just scratching the surface of how flawed this rack is - nothing that really leverages the important reasons to go into modular - logic, sequential switches, wave shapers/folders/multipliers, ring mods, etc etc the list goes on

IMO it's a really boring use of 252hp - buy these modules and you'll either grow bored and think modular is shit and sell it - or end up having to buy a second case in 3 months - when you realise that @Lugia and I are correct and you really need the extra utilities to get this to actually function as you hoped it would

looks fine to me - you won't hurt anything - it's all just electricity - self-patching is encouraged

thanks - glad you liked them!!

it's mostly lzx industries analog video synthesizer modules... and others, mostly DIY (syntonie, reverselandfill, fox, visual signals) that use the same paradigm - I also really like using Doepfer wavefolders - and sometimes filters - it's all electricity - but audio modules, using slower ICs (opamps etc) usually add pleasant smears

I also use an application called Lumen (only mac - windows is in the pipeline - but it has been for year) that's a virtual analog video synthesizer - which is also really handy for sending video to the video synthesizer - as it can do full screen on an external monitor - which I then feed to the video synthesizer

I've also recently got a used edirol v4 video mixer - which is really handy... adds some nice effects - and once I can find my rca splitter I can send a copy of the lumen output and mix it back in to the lzx system

for starters Lumen is a really good place to start (if you have a mac) - I started out with Processsing3, though - which is a java scripting environment for visuals - tailored to artists - and then a slightly more complicated version called PraxisLive (which is audio and video - & has some visual programming stuff in it - drag and drop components etc)

I need to fix my 12year old macbook - or get the 5 year old one back from my daughter - so I can use those as a feed into Lumen now that Syphon is no longer supported

another great way to get started is to just point a video camera at a tv (crt preferably or projection onto a screen) and plug the video camera into the same tv - so that you create a feedback loop - which is another technique I've used from time to time... and then move something - like your hand - in between them (or the tv or the camera) - then add a mixer and add in stuff from VCRs/DVDs etc

it's not that marbles and black sequencer make each other superfluous - they just take up too much space together in this size case!! I've got both and a other sequencers besides (sinfonion, step fader, peaks, beatstep pro, pico seq plus some I'm probably forgetting - ah yes stages!) but I have much more rackspace - one or the other in this size case - personally I'd go black sequencer - if you want random - hit magic!!! and I truly love my Marbles

I know all about stages - I've had one since the 2nd batch - it's a great module - but it's also good to have different modulation sources - I usually recommend maths as a first modulation source - mostly because of the fantastic 'maths illustrated supplement' - which is a great introduction and jumping off point for patch programming - an incredibly powerful modular synthesis technique... working through and building on the examples given in the supplement gives a great introduction to modular synthesis - rather than just patching some modules together (what I call 'synthesis with modules' - as opposed to 'modular synthesis')

you probably don't need both the rcd and scm - I'd go divider and start with a faster clock - and probably add the expander for the rcd instead - which brings me to how are you intending to clock this??? where is master clock coming from?

not convinced that triple sloths and wobblebug are both needed in a case this size - I have both (well an erica swamp, which is a derivation of wobblebug) but I have about 7 times the rack space

decent start with utilities - but not much in the way of basic plumbing - I'd want more mixing at least - sub mixers and a matrix mixer would be good - that way you can reduce the number of your modulation sources and get more interesting modulation via matrix mixer - and you probably will find you need a lot more in the way of attenuators - really useful for controlling level of modulation

probably don't need the doepfer buffered mult and links - buffered mults are only really needed for pitch and you don't really have enough pitch outputs/inputs to justify both at the moment - remember the middle section of links can be a buffered mult too - I'd get some stackcables or headphone splitters for passive mults too - one caveat to this is if you are trying to use maths with a module that has a non-buffered input - sometimes it can stop working because of this - but only a problem that needs to be solved if and when it arises - I only have a couple of modules that this happens with and they are video modules

I'd also consider dumping the cursible - not enough modules to warrant it at the moment imo - and the bastl 'drone'mixer, again at the moment - bring them back in in the next case perhaps...

have you actually used an eurorack modular before? do you know how small the modules actually are? especially looking at the mutable clones here - the originals have good ergonomics - but the micro clones don't...

I'd dump the output (quite possibly not needed - & if you're going to get one get a better one from a company with a better reputation) and at least one (possibly both) of the mutes and the quad vca - replace with veils (saves 2hp) and get a better end of channel mixer (possibly with mutes included and based on feedback below)... how are you intending to listen to this?

I'd also think about mono/stereo mixing in here - go through working out what sound sources and modifiers are mono or stereo and how you are going to mix these both separately and together

erbe-verbe is huge and is mono input/stereo output - great module - but maybe not suited to a case this size!

hope this helps...

I have no idea how many times I've typed this today - seems a lot though

JPGs are next to useless - please help us help you by linking to your public rack - copy and paste the url!!!

not to worry I've done it for you:

ModularGrid Rack

I like the aesthetics (nb spelling mistake on yr shop page) - ie not quite perfect... they're pretty cool but I don't really see much advantage over velcro/cable ties, especially given the price (which while not unreasonable, is way more expensive than velcro/cable ties) - which is probably what I'd use if I were playing live

good luck with selling loads though!

standard audio interface.

there's no such thing

Being new to this world, I’m hoping you all can take a look at my idea and see if there are any critical elements I’m missing to make this a solid beginner kit… feel free to be blunt and offer other ideas for cost effective alternatives…and thanks.

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1836597.jpg

-- brownbureau

other than start with a decent sized case - Mantis is best starter case - hp/cost/quality of power /manufacturer reputation - small case = new case very soon = more expensive

no more advice until you post a link to an actual public rack - jpgs are shit - there are 7k modules and with no click through it's frustratingly difficult to follow - so please help us help you and post the link!!!!

copy and paste url of public rack

No problem - I'm glad you appreciate my thoughts!

as for video - you can check out mine here: https://www.instagram.com/jimhowell1970/

not that they're anything like modular synth demo videos... but they are created (mostly) using a modular!

+1 on what @Lugia says

see my signature for some useful guidance

I'm as usual - mostly - in agreement with @Lugia on this...

Mutable Instruments modules have good ergonomics - the clones trend away from this - and I like good ergonomics - eurorack modules are small enough already, don't make them harder to play with than they already are!

I do see the pico quant as superfluous in the satellite case though - black sequencer already provides quantization - any external quantization other than something (and there is nothing) like the sinfonion - which will give you chord progression sequencing and quantize (up to 4 sequences to those) is pointless imo...

Another suggestion, more limited, would be Frequency Central's Stasis Leak. Reverb, chorus, tap delay in 6 hp. However, the Stasis Leak is set up with a mono-in/stereo-out architecture, so it can also do double duty as a stereoizing module.
-- Lugia

a lot of the fx aid algos also have mono in/stereo out and do the stereoizing thing

I've found Ornament and Crime to be a good multi-purpose module that actually helps many figure out what they really need going forward...they find a function that they really like and use a lot, then buy a dedicated module for it and then use O_C for other functions.
-- jb61264

good call...

Hi Max

I think you meant 'populated' not 'polluted', but it gave me a laugh - seriously don't let that discourage you though - your English is OK - better than my German would be, at least without google translate!

I wouldn't count Maths as a particularly fancy module - just incredibly useful - sometimes it's cheaper to buy a slightly more expensive module in the long run - veils is incredibly good value, for example - 4 variable curve vcas in 10hp - probably better value than the doepfer one you have...

FX Aid XL would be a good module to add imo

I don't have ochd, but I think I'd probably rather have Pam's (which I do have)

I'd say you seem to have a lot of basics covered - maybe it's time to think about something interesting...

you mention what you are using for sequencing, but not the pico seq... I've got one - I use it for sequencing song parts on Sinfonion - and only for that - I find the lack of a dedicated reset button/jack a real pain... what are your thoughts about it?

cheers
Jim

please help us, help you by providing a link to a public rack (copy and paste the url)

I would have done it for you, if your racks were public and not private...

Yes, I have seen your signature before while browsing, I think it makes a great deal of sense.
please check out the rearrangement of the rack.

a bit better:
links is a good buy - versatile - especially the middle section
kinks is discontinued - used or there's a clone version
the 2 2hp mixers next to each other are impractical - split them up? how are you intending to use them (I'd want 1 next to the MCOs)
do you really need the black sequencer and the pachinko - I've got both (well Marbles) but I've got a lot more
modules/ rack space - I wouldn't have both in this size case...
I'd probably replace the blinds with happy nerding 3mia & 3vca

I'd probably only have 2 or maybe 3 sound sources in this size case - you have 4/5 - 2MCOs, beehive, quarks, nRings & monsoon - but only 2 filters & some overlap with sound sources in terms of sound modification (clouds and nRings) - & no stereo sub mixing before hitting doupples

I'd probably want an FX Aid XL or 2 - versatile, useful effects modules with 1/2 decent ergonomics and

given that the black sequencer can do modulation as well as gates/triggers and pitch I'd probably look at dropping one of the stages at least in this size case!

so still imo not very balanced - as I said I'd add another row to this to house more 'support modules' which would probably get you into ball park of balanced system - at least with this number of voices

what do you value most in utilities?
what utilities do you feel are most essential/ least essential?

sequential switches, switched multiples, trigger combiners, matrix mixers, sub mixers, logic, attenuators, inverters (or combined as attenuverters), trigger/gate delays, sample and hold, mults etc etc... they're all good - it's how you use them that counts

I have more or less all of these (& more) sometimes in multiples

the more you have, the more you can copy, alter and combine more signals to create more interesting ones

thank you.
-- fretless19

NP

just to add - rack seems very sound source/voice heavy... seems a bit light light on sound modification too

see my signature for a guide formula to get the most versatility out of a rack for the least cost... utilities are often comparatively inexpensive...

if you have to ask "do I have enough xyz modules", then you probably don't have...

if it were me I'd want another row (maybe 2) dedicated to more utilities (and probably another modulation source and/or envelope generators) based on what you have in that rack...

You really put things in perspective about expanding.

The pam's was intended for some modulation, clocking, but I do need some random, that's why I also went with a wogglebug. Was also considering the verbos random sampling or the MI marbles, but some of the choices were indeed because I wanted a small rack. I also wanted to get a cold mac, but they're pretty much sold out everywhere... I may have to rethink my approach.
-- pipis93

NP

Personally I'd rather have Marbles than Wobblebug - more versatile IMO - you can even use it as a VCO (see divkid video on youtube) - I have both, well Marbles and an erica swamp (that's a descendant of their take on wobblebug)

Patience is a virtue - especially when it comes to module availability and even more so due to the pandemic - if you really want a specific module - try to have cash ready, use wigglehunt and the marketplace here, at modwiggler and for sale groups on facebook

nice enough...
some possible tips:
use a tripod - wobbly hand held camera in 1st video
frame what you are filming better - there's a lot of dead screen in the first video
edit video to remove silence at end (maybe not all but in the second video there was quite a lot) or use more delay/reverb tails
use modulation sources/vcas/etc etc so you don't film your hands and/or film something else
don't do free advertising for racists/misogynists etc

the first 3 I think are pretty important, the rest are just taste and/or ethics - and obviously don't really count if you are demoing stuff - but then I'd like voice-over too - here I'm adjusting the XYZ knob to do ABC to the sound etc

• 1 for FX Aid XL - more variety - same software platform as the ZVerb

I remember a few years back some one came up with a python program to "randomly" generate patches for their synth - maybe you could try something similar - iirc the source code is (was) online

I wouldn't recommend python for this though - unless they've changed a few things - relating to allowing removal of used items from lists

basically it's just a way of (pseudo-)randomly picking items from lists - a piece of paper and a dice, a spreadsheet or a simple program or pulling bits of paper out of a hat - all will do the same things

voice 1: [pick sound source] will be modulated by [pick modulation source] (and by [pick modulation source] etc) will be processed by [pick sound modifier] (and [pick unused sound modifier] etc)
voice 2: [pick unused sound source] will be modulated by [pick modulation source] (and by [pick modulation source] etc) will be processed by [pick unused sound modifier] (and [pick unused sound modifier] etc)
voice n: [pick unused sound source] will be modulated by [pick modulation source] (and by [pick modulation source] etc) will be processed by [pick unused sound modifier] (and [pick unused sound modifier] etc)

you can obviously take it further, by going down to inputs and outputs and specifying what utilities etc you use...

after you've finished patching - try blindfolding yourself and then wiggling - or in the dark

you could also try patching with the synth turned off... or the sound turned down...

hahaha yeah - just grumpy old men being grumpy - hahaha

This is totally about how to create financial freedom in your work and this will definitely help you to plan a successful business. The [scam website] first and most basic step toward building a successful business is to take control of your business finance.

-- nick389

but of fuck all interest to people on a modular synth forum!

modules are ok I guess

not sure I'd have 2 distings, the moddemix or that mixer

how are you intending to clock the Pams? - are you intending to use it for modulation? it's great but hard synched to clock... which may or may not be what you want

as an audio engineering rack - I'm seeing effects processing - I'd want more effects - especially filters, more modulation sources (not synced) and much more in the way of utilities - use maths for other things and even 2 distings get used up pretty quickly if there's nothing else - and of these particularly vcas - not just for audio but also for cv - so a quad that can be used for both linear and exponential would be perfect something like veils

as I said before get a bigger case - that way you''l have space to expand - you will need it - and a bigger case now will work out cheaper in the long run - tiptop mantis is an excellent starter size - and is very hard to beat for value for money - hp/cost and quality of power supply

please post a link to a public rack not a jpg - they are next to useless - no click through and 7k modules - help us help you!!!

start with a bigger rack - mantis or lc9 - it will be near impossible to satisfy your goals with 3u/84hp and a uZeus

hahahaha

what's the power? I really like the befaco excalibus... most of my racks are powered by these - really really quiet - up to video rates (MHz, not just KHz) - no visible dirt in video synth output... which I do see from the Frequency Central psus I have...

I've already had plenty of "Oh, he's just an old guy ranting"!!!!

Hehe. I actually recently retired from 31 years in software management at Apple so frugality is not one of my hallmark characteristics. Being a slob and loving to build stuff from scratch my entire life is, which is why so much looks (and is) DIY.

good for you!!! but in that case - why b-company crap?

I've had macbooks/mbps for 15 years or so and always recommend them over anything else - I caught on to the IBM philosophy even earlier than they did - support is the real expense, especially if you can deprecate your hardware... I really like Logic Pro, but the office software is still unfortunately poor compared to Office... but I use it as it comes pre-installed and free

Muxlicer build video - much better idea... non-controversial - did you buy a kit or source your
own components?

For a company like Befaco I find that they provide high quality parts and I buy their full set. Some others (I won't mention names) use really poor quality parts, or parts that don't actually fit (very aggravating) so I buy the PCB and panel and dd my own parts from my bench stock or buy from Mouser, AmplifiedParts, Thonk, or others.

I try to buy pcb/panel sets because I have a fair amount of stock on hand ,so mostly I just need to buy the odd IC and restock passives - so unusual sized resistors is a PITA

the correct sized part is TME and not mouser! - TME is where befaco buy their components >from... found out after!

Yeah, Befaco is interesting. Has anyone ever found out why their circuit board traces have curves and curly bits vs. the relatively straight traces everyone else uses? I've asked them with no response....

I put it down to Iberian aesthetics...

can we rate you compared to SynthDIYGuy? extra points for swearing, self-deprecating humour, >burning yourself, desoldering accidents etc etc! he gets nil points for any of those - so you might >be on a winner!

Rate away. I have evolved over my life from "smartass kid" to "overbearing know-it-all" to my now current "grumpy old man" personas, and it's all fun.

hahah - too true - I'm rapidly becoming a grumpy old man - 52 next week!

Want to see extreme DIY? Here's a snapshot of my testing rack in my workshop, truly a lashup.
shoprack

-- Ravenware

really like your testing rack - wish I could justify one - probably could if I really wanted to - I just usually check the continuity/grounding with a multimeter - and then hook it up to a spare fc power supply to check nothing blows up before sticking it in one of the racks to test properly - mostly works - but I have blown up a few wall warts in the process

But not when you are the butt of the joke, it seems!
-- JimHowell1970

OK, insert the obligatory "Haha LMFAO" to all my posts, since that's what's happening in my head anyway.

And I will admit, posting wars (whether through 300 baud BBSs or gigaspeed forums ) has always been very entertaining to me. To Quote from Gladiator Are you not entertained?????

But enough on this thread, since Im sure it's not necessarily entertaining to enough people, I'll cease my little enjoyment.

But there will be a new build video in a couple of days on the Befaco Muxlicer, which I found to be an interesting build and a very deep unit which I have just scratched the surface on.
--ck

-- Ravenware

yeah probably a good idea... it's not like too much fun is possible!!

"Are you not entertained" - I was, especially your post with your rack in it - everything else is DIY - so frugality seems to be important to you - which is the opposite of racking a semi - I like DIY 1/2 my racks are DIY!

Muxlicer build video - much better idea... non-controversial - did you buy a kit or source your own components? I've done both for befaco modules - there would be a huge blooper reel of my reaction to realising I'd bought normal sized 1/4w resistors, if I'd doen a build video for it - when 1/4w in 1/8w cases were required... argh... or realising I'd bought another wrong sized part because the only source of the correct sized part is TME and not mouser! - TME is where befaco buy their components from... found out after!

can we rate you compared to SynthDIYGuy? extra points for swearing, self-deprecating humour, burning yourself, desoldering accidents etc etc! he gets nil points for any of those - so you might be on a winner!

you are totally missing the point

And believe me, I have an excellent sense of humor.

But not when you are the butt of the joke, it seems!

Hopefully you can embrace that also, and engage your own sense of humor.
--ck
-- Ravenware

Trust me, I'm laughing my fucking ass off!

you are totally missing the point

I will direct you to "usually" in the first sentence, "our native language is sarcasm", and "chill out and have fun"...

get a sense of humour and chill out! FFS