NB there are 3 versions of fx aid... fx aid, fx aid xl and fx aid pro...

I have the fx aid xl and it's a bit of a pain to work with - as you need a cheat sheet to work out which algorithm is running...

I intend to get a pro version soon - so I can use the 1st 32 algorithms as a cheat sheet for the xl

if I were you I would buy the pro... and if you want more of them - it's entirely possible you'll want a couple (or more) then get other ones... it will make your life easier...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Thanks JimHowell1970!

I was thinking about Bastl Aikido as it is a 4 channel VCA and cascading mixer. Also Ikarie has a built-in vca in. Isn't that good enough?

For utilities would 3x MIA and/or Miso be sufficient?

-- przyprawa

between the ikarie and the aikido you've probably got enough to get you going - you may or may not need more in the future... NB vcas are for modulation as well as for audio...

again the 3*MIA or miso are probably a good start - see my signature and contemplate it for hours... in lots of ways utilities are more important than what sound sources you have... they exponentially open up your patching options... a matrix mixer for example is a great idea... spending a lot of time researching utilities is a really good way to spend time... and thinking about how you would incorporate them into your patching... both for audio and modulation...

I also agree very strongly with @Sweelinck - some effects would be a great idea... I'd go for the fx aid pro if you can... so you can see what you are doing (it has a screen to show the algo you are using - whereas the other versions only have a led array - which is not so understandable)

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

What do you think? What am I missing?
Thanks!
-- przyprawa

some vcas would be a good addition - do yourself a favour & get a quad cascading one - a veils clone for example...

maybe spend some time thinking about the hints in my signature too...

not sure how to post a proper link

copy & paste the url... needs to be a public rack

well then - patience and good luck!

no idea but have you tried the erica website or mailing their support?

Thread: The Center

big modular = a rack per case and/or an overall rack, but you'll need an unicorn account for that (it's about 5 cents/pence per day)

I find it easiest to maintain the big rack and then delete the smaller racks if I move stuff around and then recreate them from copies of the big rack - my unicorn account has lapsed though and I don't need to make changes at the moment...

Done, the instruo in/out modules are just place holders

-- Monib

can't see the rack link - the rack needs to be public!!!

expensive place holders...

A few nuggets of wisdom from this post, IMHO, need highlighting:

• "I see people constantly asking what they need for their rack and I don't really relate to that very well because to me you should just start with enough to make some noise and then when you want to do or try something but can't, that'll inform what you want/need real quick."

Yes, ^this exactly.

I partially agree with this - there is nothing you actually need for your rack it really depends on you, but I do think its helpful to get some pointers in the right direction especially when starting out... but more focused I want to get a module that does this - or I want to move in this direction - can be quite helpful - although it is often a short cut from doing the research yourself

-"the point is not to use it all at once - it's like having a bunch of guitars/pedals, it just gives you more options"

I'm guilty of over-patching in an attempt to "use everything" but that's more an attempt at "learning" through trial and error than a "music production" aesthetic....and after my first few months of patching I've come around to the "less is sometimes more" aspect of not patching the kitchen sink each and every time.

the more you have the less you use

-"I did have a strong vision for my music, I think that's what a lot of people are missing and maybe what makes the journey more confusing for a lot of people."

And this is key. Modular is a major distraction from music-making, IF you don't know how to funnel your energies in order to harness the tools at your disposal. I think I'd be a bit in over my head if I didn't have a crystal clear idea of what I want my music to be (and maybe even more importantly, what I DON'T want it to be...)

definitely modular can be a distraction from making music to start with... or your definition of 'music' changes...

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_2236002.jpg
** How do I post a rack?

copy and paste the url

Okay, so I've started smallish (84hp rack) ... I can't seem to find the Mantis in stock anywhere, so I just got a HE Kit... sorry

no need to apologize... waiting is difficult...

It seems like the Arbhar can take audio levels for recording?

yeah most of this type of module do - output will usually be at modular level though - so much higher

However I would like to include some guitar pedals as sends/returns. I also need an output module?

not an "output" module, but an effects pedal interface - that copes with attenuation on the way out, impedance and amplification on the back in...

Also, a filter? Unless I use the Pro2s awesome filters, but again more I/O S/R and insert effects ... any recommendation for the limited space I have left?
-- Monib

fix the link and I'll take a look

Jim, thank you. I'm all about the utilities! Just trying to figure out which ones.
Samara II seems to be out everywhere. Samara the original, none available on Reverb.

Patience is a requirement when it comes to modular... it always was, but the pandemic knock on effects have made things worse than usual for the last few years (and I expect for a while to come)

If I were to get Samara, would that mean getting rid of Miso or Utopia, or both? Or keeping all three?

it would be the last option for me... but you may be different... I'd keep them and see...

Kinks looks great Im sold.

clones are available not sure of names though

I have 2 uZeus withe the stock wall-warts, so I think Im good for this 6u 84 hp, though of course its only 80 hp for each row withy the power headers there.

yeah should be ok...

I'm listening via an audio interface, Behringer 1820. It has a pad on each line level input, so good for attenuating hot euro signal.
Not sure about sequencing. I think I'm mostly interested in "old" ways of doing things (i.e. shift registers and logic and such).

then you want a clock, clock divider, sample and holds etc etc... search for "sequencing without a sequencer" on modwiggler - there should be some good advice there

Definitely interested in more West Coast type ways of working, from what I understand. Not necessarily bongos, but definitley creating rhythms through modulated modulation. That is to say, I'm interested both in the sound design potential of modular, but also the sequencing. Also: the west pest has a simple sequencer, and my DSI pro 2 has an analog 16 or 32 step sequencer, with pitch+gate+3 additional CV's out.
-- iguai

If you're in "West Coast" synthesis - then I'd look at modules from Random*Source, Tiptop/Buchla and Elby

Thread: Rackbrute 6U

If I add another VCO I need also another filter and VCA for it or I can let it work with Mother 32?

possibly not sure on patching as I don't have any semis - but more vcas (get a quad cascading one - think of it as an investment (& it can also be used as a vc mixer) - and filters are almost always a good idea

I already have the Wavetable VCO and I'm patching it with Mother 32 but I do not have so many IN and OUT more (I ordered ad multiplier in the meantime...) and I'm triyng to understand how to add another VCO voice

probably using a mixer pre-cv out of moog mixed with vco out, mixer out into vca in of moog??

I also need a Mixer?(Math can be used for this...so probably I'm already ok for that).

whilst Maths does include a mixer, using it as such kind of stops you using Maths for anything insteresting... get a quad (or triple) cascacading vca

so...the real question is:
for any VCO I have in the system is required a filter, LFO and VCA in order to use it?

well not required as such - depends what you are hoping to do... but lots of people have multiples of these per voice... multiple filters can give choice... multiple lfos (and/or envelope generators and/or function generators ie modulation sources) will allow you to modulate more parameters on modules... vcas are useful for both audio and modulation sources... a matrix mixer is incredibly useful for mixing modulation sources together to create more complex ones - especially when patched into vcas and sample and hold modules...

Maths - it's a good learning tool - what with all the video resources and the 'maths illustrated supplement' - work your way through the latter a few times concentrating on what, how and why and you'll do yourself a big favour... & it's also incredibly useful and not small...

A matrix mixer - incredibly useful - from taking multiple modulation sources and making them more complex to setting up send/return or feedback processing for effects

xaoc samara would also make a good addition... as would a kinks clone

I'll point you to my signature - as I usually do in most posts - for a few hints on how to get a versatile modular for as little as possible - the formula scales from tiny systems, to the truly massive

I only see one uZeus module - and the power draw is over it's capabilities - on the +12v this can be remedied by using the higher powered 'turbo' power adapter, but the -12v is probably quite bit over... not only should you leave at least 20%, better still 30%, headroom on each rail, but 533mA is more than the max draw on this rail even with the jumper switched - regular setting is just 400mA (so you don't really want to be going much over 300mA - don't skrimp on power - it's really important!!!

all this of course can be remedied by removing the West Pest...

how are you playing this? a sequencer might be a good idea... at least 2 channels...

how are you listenimg? via an external mixer or audio interface?

@JimHowell1970, duly noted but wanted to throw it out there as an option.
-- benscott

yeah I know, I know... but I think it's much better to buy something inexpensive and simple, before going expensive & complex... it's the same with the instruo lion... looks great, but it's expensive, not obvious in how to use it and has special cables to easily lose

Erica synths makes an external matrix mixer I believe for eurorack if you don't want to use space for it.
-- benscott

they do... but it's quite big and complicated and expensive - at least 4 times the price of the doepfer!!!

This Multiplier seems to be perfect (2hp) :

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/l-fusion-electronics-quad-0-1-active-precision-multiple

is a good solution?
-- centecente

think about what you need to copy... if it's v/oct (that you want to be accurate) or triggers that you want to re-patch mid performance - or you are trying to patch (for example) Maths outputs into unbuffered inputs - then a buffered mult makes sense... no idea about that specific one though... otherwise for modulation purposes then passive mults work perfectly well enough (and are cheaper and can be implemented outside the rack - thus saving space!

Thanks for converting and providing feedback! Wasnt sure how to show non jpegs...

just copy and paste the urls!

I've got drums covered by techno system and really wanted to keep it to 2 cases for playing out with. Will be keeping the modules and may swap out in future. Did the conversion earlier this week and really enjoying the sounds I'm getting!
-- B1RDSN3ST

good for you and good luck with the playing out...

looks like quite a decent start to me...

personally I'd want some more utilities... as they add more patching options... so versatility

& some modulation - envelope generators/function generators & lfos

and I'd probably go for a bigger case (mantis would be my choice - bigger/quieter/cheaper per hp etc) - sooner or later you'll inevitably need it & you're a bit close to the power specs for the uZeus - at least with the regular psu - & with the higher powered option there's no improvement on the -12v rail - remember to leave at least 20% headroom on all rails (& if you add more modules you'll probably want to change the jumper for the -12v to get the extra 100mA out of it...

I want to expand my Digitakt with modular (Techno/industrial based).
Do i need other modules for cv, gate, clock, ... to work properly?

the answer to that is probably no - at least to start with... but you'll probably find you want more very quickly... and then run out of space, so...

Any case idea?

yes - ignore case for now - work out what modules you need to achieve what you want from your modular, then work out what modules you need to support them - mixers, vcas etc and then add about 20-30% for expansion - then find a case... my advice start with a mantis...

here;s the link to your public rack (jpgs suck)

ModularGrid Rack

and the erica synths black system 3 - because jpgs suck!!!

https://www.ericasynths.lv/shop/eurorack-systems/black-system-iii/

I plan to remove the Modulator, CV Tools, and one of the VCA units from the Black System III I purchased last year around this time to make room for Knobula units and Jewler Cast. My thoughts are that the joystick and sequencer can do LFO and more. I've also still got one VCA to use. In the past year I haven't used the CV tools module much and honestly not sure what functions/options it gives me. I wanted to add Ring Mod/wavefolding options along with some poly action for live performances is the main reason for this change. As a rookie to this modular stuff, what may I regret by omitting the stated modules?

well they can definitely provide some modulation, but you're removing more than just modulation... mixing, offset and attenuation (cv tools) are really handy to have in any modular - I'd spend some time patching with them - oh look I can have some subtle modulation and I can move it about!!! & they allow you to fix issues... and well vcas - if you're adding another sound source - then how are you going to shape the sounds of it and have vcas left over for modulation - maybe consider getting rid of both the erica vcas and getting something smaller and with more channels to replace them

personally I would probably just get a second case to add modules into and keep at least the modulator (which I might replace with a matrix mixer and zadar, though) and the cv tools... more to lug around though...

so maybe I'd use a laptop (&/or possibly a dedicated hardware poly synth) for the poly...

well the chances are you're not going to be able to fit everything you want in a 48hp and there's more bad news - that 380mA - I'd really only advise around 300mA of it... otherwise you'll probably end up with start up issues (when beads tries to take more power during startup - but you might be lucky) - they're really only designed to hold a few low voltage analog modules & they're really over-priced imo - a mantis is almost 5 times the size & over 6 times the available +12v for less than double the money & you'll need that extra space and power, sooner than you'd like to think!

better to plan your case around the modules that you want (& actually need to support them) than trying to cram too much in too little space

but for now - swap the happy nerding 3mia for the 3vca and then get some passive attenuators... and then buy a mnatis...

whilst I'd agree taking the moog out is generally the way forward - as it's got it's own case and power - it's up to you if you are happy paying double for those... maybe in the future when you need more rack space you'll change your mind...

the next module I would get if I were you would be a triple or quad cascading vca... for 2 reasons, 1 you'll be able to mix the outpts of the vco and the moog 2 you'll be able to shape notes from the vco, rather than just letting it drone

you'll probably want a filter next for the vco and then a mult (although I'd be more tempted to get a splitter or stackcables to save space)

Yeah. Plenty of modulation sources are needed. Any effect modules you recommend?
-- Monib

I like the fx aid pro... I don't have one, I have the xl version, which I really like, but if I was going to buy another, it would definitely be the pro version... not only does it store all the algorithms (or at least most of them - 200 iirc) it has a screen which means that you can see what you are doing, the regular and xl versions only hold 32 algos and only have leds to show which number algo you are using - which means you need to keep a pdf or printout handy - or load the 1st 32 algo slots of a pro with the same algos - so you can use that as an in-rack cheat sheet... also Igor adds new algos all the time and doesn't look like he's stopping anytime soon

but... that will only really get you one effect at a time, though... so maybe a pro and an xl...

If I was going to do something relatively small & sampler based today, I'd probably go for an instruo Lúbadh (as the sampler), Maths & a pams pro (for modulation & clocking), at least one analog vco (possibly the tiptop/buchla one - for audio rate modulation & to sample), a matrix mixer (maybe 2, probably the doepfer one, as it's simple to use, for mixing modulation sources to create more complex ones), a couple of analog filters and/or lpgs (possibly doepfer), a couple of fx aids (a pro and an xl), an end of chain mixer (with a send/return) and a bunch of utility modules - probably a xaoc samara ii, a doepfer sequential switch, a joranalogue compare 2, a random or chaos module & a quad cascading vca (preferably a veils clone) - and I'd probably want a sequencer too (I've got a black sequencer, that I like a lot... which might look like overkill but I'd find ways to use it v/oct can also be used for modulation & with a powerful sampler I think I'd want the precision) - I wouldn't buy it all at once, but I'd start with a case that can at least house all those modules & preferably at least another 20% to expand into...

possibly something like this:
ModularGrid Rack

having built an example rack - I'd probably want to add at least one simple and small-ish mixer too (or anothe cascading vca - possibly happy nerding

seriously don't sideline utilities - they are the key to great patches...

if you are going to buy Maths - download "the maths illustrated supplement" and work your way through it a lot - spending time to think about the what, why and how of each patch... it will massively help your future patching

Yeah, I think utilities is what is needed the most. I'm a bit sound source heavy

I'm looking at the happy nerding 3xMIA for a bipolar mixer, and also the TipTop Buchla Dual Voltage processor as possibilities. Any other must have utilities you'd recommend?
Cheers
-- samhstewart

Matrix mixers (doepfer or nlc), sequential switches (doepfer) , logic (joranalogue), a kinks clone and or a xaoc samara ii...

I obviously don't know what I'm doing lol, it won't let me share the new one so here is just an image of it

needs to be public - not checked as private!

and I agree completely about less voices - see my signature for hints on balance and "more versatility for less cash"

I need a mixer and was looking at Instruo Lion,.

I agree you do need a mixer, but what do you want the mixer for??? if you want it for end of chain and/or to have control over levels, then lion is probably not what you should be looking at... & personally for a matrix mixer I wouldn't really look at it - I prefer control over levels and no special loop cables or splitters, which I'd lose - or at the very least be searching a while for... if it really is a matrix mixer you want I'd go for something simpler - like the doepfer one or with vcas like the nonlinearcircuits or 4ms one(s)

I'd definitely want more utilities - logic, sequential switches, mixers (sub/matrix), clock dividers etc etc and possibly some more effects and modulation, before buying any more sound sources...

It's a bit like guitar players. Some people think you buy a guitar and that's it. Except modular is worse, far worse ;-)
-- Arrandan

hahahaha

Also being a guitar player, I'm not so sure that modular is worse!!!

there's a 1st crappy acoustic guitar, then a crappy electric and an amp, then an upgrade (probably for all 3), then another upgrade, then another electric and a hollow body and another electric and maybe a 12 string and some pedals along the way and more pedals and a pedal board and another amp and then upgrade the pedals etc etc

and then a bass and an amp and maybe some pedals for that etc

and suddenly you've got 6-10 guitars, a couple of amps, 10-20 pedals maybe more, probably a keyboard or 2, plus some recording equipment and other rack gear.... which could easily be way, way over 20k... possibly nearer 30... and that's with standard factory built guitars and amps, and no exotic hard to find pedals etc... start going towards an actual custom built guitar (by a named builder from a major manufacturer) or a desirable 'vintage' guitar, a hand wired point to point amp (or 2) and even a few unobtanium pedals and you could be over 30k just for one or 2 guitars, a couple of 'good' amps and a dozen or so pedals

and don't even think at looking at 'classical' instruments - like cellos - anything above a beginner model and you're talking thousands... and then there's the bow - more thousands... or a piano...

my ex used to not bat an eyelid at a couple of grand for a guitar... but couldn't understand why modules were often hundreds each... but she was really only accustomed to buying FMCG (as many people are) - clothes, shoes, consumer grade audio/visual, white goods etc - which are made in the hundreds of thousands if not millions and has never worked in retail or business...

but modules (and cases) aren't anything like FMCG - they're niche components of a custom 'professional' grade musical instrument... they're very low volume - the biggest selling module (Maths) is probably under 20k units in total... over 15 or more years... and most are probably in the hundreds or very low thousands in total... and made in batches of 10s or hundreds... and yet they still have to be designed, tested, refined, built, stored, shipped, retailed etc etc all of which adds up... and in a lot of cases are the same or similar costs as FMCG but have to be absorbed by a fraction of the sales.. which obviously drives the price up...

I'd think more utilities and modulation sources and less sound sources...

you'll get a lot more versatility that way... I'd definitely want a syncable multi modulation source of some kind...

take a look at my signature for some hints!

There is no such thing as "finish"... modular synths are endlessly evolving custom instruments... maybe a case will be full at some point, but there are always other cases...

I think there is such a thing as “finished” if you want it to be…that’s what my wife keeps telling me…

hahahaha... no that is finished when someone else wants it to be... so not finished just in a state of inertia...

Thank you for your suggestions. Sometimes you just want someone to confirm what you’re already thinking and suggest specific modules that you can do homework on. That’s when you get the aha moments, and realise this module can do more (or less) than you initially thought. So many modules, so little time!

yeah yeah I know, but often what you want and what you need are 2 different things... pointers in the right direction and then doing the research yourself (reading the modwiggler threads & the manual multiple times - if there is one - and watching youtube videos etc before you buy the module) are imo way better and more rewarding than "buy this module its my favourite" can ever be, or at least they have been for me over the last 7 years since I bought my first modules

I rarely listen to tracks people post... but massive star trek fan - I'm called Jim after Kirk - because I negotiated watching (I think) the first set of re-runs of TOS on the BBC in 1973 when I was 3 years old - they were on at 11pm and my bed time was 7 or something!

I'm guessing the biological responses sample is Tuvok, but it really sounds like Leonard Nimoy's Spock...

24hp is not a lot to play with... usually these things just descend into these are the modules I use - so here goes:

maybe a peaks clone to start - it'll give you a kick and a snare - and then something for hats or metallic percussion - I've got plaits and crucible for those and a fss portland - which is fun especially when you dangle it outside the case and stick your fingers in round the back (if you like weird glitchy percussion sounds and squeals) - I've also got an fx aid xl that I keep meaning to reflash with the drum algos on it - mostly so I can use the rimshot and maracas... and an addac vc t-networks (need to finish the build) and a couple of lpgs... and a drm2 mk3 and a circuit bent tr505 - which I can trigger via midi if I want... and that's without patching from scratch - I didn't realise I had quite so many percussion voices!!!

there's nothing wrong with using Pam's for sequencing percussion - as long as you want very robotic sounding drums. and not a lot of interaction... which is fine, if that's what you want!! I use it myself, but I combine it with other things - a zularic repetitor, a dual trigger delay, branches and marbles, a sequential switch, some logic modules, a switched multiple (used as a gate combiner - shock horror) and a ll8ii (once I've rtested my build) (I might need another gate combiner or 2) for instance to humanise and switch it up on the fly and to quickly get other rhythms - I rarely use a straight 4 on the floor rhythm - maybe I'll add another kick in there at some point or a - but then I'm not trying to make straight dance music

so you want to Fuck Shit Up?

a sampler and maths would be a good start... I'd also add some sort of multi-fx and probably more in the way of modulation sources - and then some utility modules - a quad cascading vca, a matrix mixer...

plan your case around the modules you want & those you need to support them - rather than buying a case and then trying to squeeze modules in... I'd go for something like a mantis (nb that's a small case imo) - so you have room to (inevitably) expand into

Thanks for the reply JimHowell1970. Could you give me some examples of how YOU would finish this rack?

There is no such thing as "finish"... modular synths are endlessly evolving custom instruments... maybe a case will be full at some point, but there are always other cases...

saying that I already said what I would add (or at least pointed you in the direction) - I just didn't mention specific modules... the whole point of modular is that it's your custom instrument (and not mine) so as always happens it would just be a list of what are my favourites: for utilities and filters - doepfer... for vcas I always liked Veils (there are clones available) - an fx aid pro wouldn't hurt - I'd probably want another modulation source - probably either a zadar or batumi (& expander) and a matrrix mixer to combine them - into even more interesting shapes

Which modules would you go for? I’ve got vcas in Maths, but nothing really drones if I don’t want them to. But do I need more? Please help 😳

-- clivevass

you don't really have vcas in Maths - you can patch Maths as a vca-ish - but generally it's an "envelope generator" unless you are madly into the illustrated manual which you probably aren't - seriously I would add at least one dc-coupled quad cascading vca - as mentioned above, I like veils, but there are others - & Maths is better left to be Maths than using it as 'vcas' - & yes I would want more - as I use them for modulating modulation as well as for shaping notes

do you need vcas? probably, definitely if you want to form 'notes' instead of just drones - they are also useful for modulation - modulate your modulation!

do you need effects? not necessarily... but, most people find that at least one filter per voice is a really good idea... & if you don't have effects (at least delay & reverb) somewhere else (DAW, pedals) then you'll probably want some in the rack - they are useful in the rack as you can use them in other places in the chain than just end of chain processing... if you have pedals or line level effects then you probably want some sort of send/return (with level adjustment) to get them to work properly

do you need a mixer? again not necessarily - they are incredibly useful though - & you probably want multiple types - sub-mixers, matrix mixers (are always useful) and an end of chain mixer if you aren't going into an external audio interface or mixer - although you may want one even if you are - nb some vcas are also mixers - buy one of these (a dc-coupled quad cascading vca)
as a sub-mixer at the very least

what would I do? add utility modules... mixers, vcas, logic, sequential switches etc etc

see my signature for some handy hints on how to get the most versatility in your modular for the least cash!!!

hope this helps... & feel free to ask more questions!

you might want a quantizer too if you don't have one already

probably patched between the output of the sequential switch and the 1v/oct input of the vco

if you're going to buy another case - I'd buy another mantis - then you have the option of linking them together

Intellijel have announced a replacement for the Audio Interface II - see new module listings...

I would suggest trying going straight into the mixing desk/audio interface 1st...

if that clips then try attenuation on the way out...

if you still have noise then try an isolated output module

you will almost definitely need some form of amplification on the way in though

many of the modules in this system are currently unobtainium, so I will definitely have to wait. Still, it would be great to read opinions on specific concerns for the rack I've outlined.

this is almost always the case... most modular manufacturers are very small companies (often 1-4 staff in total) and as such really only do small(ish) runs of modules and then do another run once those are sold, which can mean that components are unavailable and modules need redesigning between runs - and that's not taking into account the ongoing disturbance in the electrical component supply chain - caused by the pandemic

1. VCAs, Attenuverters & Mixing. I know you can never have enough VCAs, but does it seem like I have an appropriate amount for this rack? How about attenuverters and channels for mixing?

vcas - probably enough, maybe too many - depends how you use them... audio only or also for modulating modulation (this is a good idea!)

attenuverters - again depends how you use them, stacking attenuators and attenuverters can help give very fine control to modulation - again this can be a very good idea

mixing - well I wouldn't be happy with it... there's not a lot other than the vcas and the quadratt for mixing - you have multi channel modules - akemie's, er-301, surface, nautilus - which would almost definitely benefit from stereo channels and mono modules that would almost definitely benefit from panning into a stereo space in order to mix with the stereo modules - do you have an external mixer???? and then there's no provision for mixing modulation sources - I really like a matrix mixer for this

I'd put some more effort into thinking about how you are actually going to mix both audio and modulation, if I were you

1. Akemie's Castle. This module is so large, but every time I consider something else, I keep coming back to how good the Castle sounds. The only other oscillator I have seriously considered as a replacement is Akemie's Taiko. The smaller footprint is nice, but it seems much more limited compared to the Castle. I am more interested in the chords and melodic sounds the Castle can make rather than drum sounds. Also, I included a fair amount of modulation in this rack in part to feed the Castle. With this in mind, would anyone recommend Taiko plus 20hp worth of other modules over Akemie's Castle?

maybe the real problem is not that the module is too large, but that the case is too small or there are just too many modules in it - trying to do too much in too small a space...

please take a look at my signature and spend some time thinking about it... it's basically a 1 line guide to building the most versatile modular synthesizer for the least cash - & it scales well up to very large systems - you don't have to take

I'd remove half the sound sources and try to replan from there - and only buy a minimum viable synth to start and add to it slowly

1. Ornament & Crime. I want to proceed with caution when it comes to deep menu diving in my modular. Pam’s and Zadar seem shallow as far as menus go. The ER-301 has a lot of functions I am excited about , and seems well worth the time-cost of learning it. I feel less enthused about Ornament and Crime. However, the number of functions seem to be a good value for the (1U) space it takes up. I imagine I will leave it as a quantizer the majority of the time and otherwise use it to fill gaps in my system.

I don't have one but o & C appears to be quite a useful module - especially with the hemispheres firmware - so you can use 2 functions at once

1. Zadar and Batumi Expanders. Are they worth the 6hp in a system this size? The extra modulation possibilities with the Zadar expansion seem especially nice. The Batumi expansion seems convenient, but less enticing. Since each is 3hp, it sort of makes sense to me to get both if I want one. There are no other modules I am currently interested in that are an odd hp.

I have both of these modules and their expanders - and I definitely think they are worth it - but I have a lot more hp - saying that by reducing the number of sound sources (see above) you may end up with enough space for them - and yes they are a great help in evening each other out - but saying that a 1hp gap isn't that big a deal and blind panels are available

1. Surface and Nautilus. Both seems like interesting modules, but I chose them over similar modules largely because of hp concerns. I wanted to add one physical modeling voice, but sort of feel that there are enough voices in this rack given the size. I also wanted one delay/reverb outside of the ER-301. Still, neither is a “must” and I would be open to other suggests of what to do with this 24hp.

yes - too many sound sources in too small a case -> not enough support modules - nautlius is a delay and not a reverb... maybe concentrate on one or 2 things in this case and leave physical modelling for the next... consider: as you buy modules put aside their share of the cost of the rack in a piggy bank (or similar) and you will have the funds for the next rack by the time this one is full

hope this helps...

I've added the link for you here:

ModularGrid Rack

it's much easier for us to comment on when we can have mouse over and click through on your proposed rig... there are over 10k modules and no one knows them all...

those Vulcans and their sarcasm!!!

I need more modulation sources before getting this.
-- inevitablecrafts

hahahahahahahahaha and some utilities to patch them through

FYI you can fit deeper modules in any skiff or case by using standoffs. You can get packs of hundreds of them in different lengths from places like Amazon for about $15. You screw the standoff into the slot and then screw the module in via a thread in the standoff. I like the brass ones as the nylon ones can break too easily.

That would free you up to choose any 2hp (brand) module. Maybe the mixer would be a good match as you don’t seem to have one.

-- main_tenant

hhmmm - not convinced by this: it potentially exposes the boards/components to the wild - ie short circuiting them by accidentally coming into contact with stray patch cables etc - which may or may not damage the module and/or power supply...

in other words do this at your own risk...

& just because someone has done this and not short circuited anything so far, doesn't mean it's not going to happen - it just means it hasn't happened to them, yet!

and it looks crap...

Thanks Jim, my space problem is also physical, I don´t have room in my desk lol. I have to think very calmly about opening the Eurorack door, it gives me some vertigo.

remember 1hp = 5.08mm (1/5") so an extra 44hp < 22.5 cm (9") - a little bit of rearrangement (& possibly some creative thinking) is often all that takes to find!

as for 'vertigo' set a starting budget and a continuing budget - ie a % of disposable income, or a set amount each month or whatever - and stick to it it

also charge modules rental for their rack space: let's say your rack works out at 2(USD/EUR/GBP) per hp then for each module you buy you put that * the number of hp the module takes up into a savings account/piggybank/whatever - when your rack is full then you have the funds to pay for the same rack again (not allowing for inflation etc) which makes life easier if money is tight...

I´m curious, is there a proper place to trade or swap modules?
-- GrumoSound

usually this is done by buying and selling used modules - as given the differing prices of modules it can be difficult to work out swaps on...

most 'easily available' modules "should" be priced at between 70 & 80% of the retail price - modules that are not easily available can go for extreme markups - often described as price gouging, but really just 'good' old supply and demand, or seeing if someone is stupid/rich enough to pay that - see mutable instruments/cwejman modules etc etc

buying used can be a way of saving money - ie you should be able to sell most modules in the future for a similar price to what you paid for it, if you need to - so cost really becomes postage... remember there is intrinsic value in your modules - it's not like spending the money on beer, for example, you still have the module and that module has value - but also remember that maybe not 100% of transactions will work out 100% in your favour - which is where paying using PayPal and paying the transaction fees (not friends and family) works in your favour!

as for where - there is the marketplace here, the buy/sell subforum on modwiggler, the monthly trades thread on the modular subreddit, reverb and also ebay/craigslist...

personally I think here and modwiggler are best - reverb and ebay charge fees, the others don't - modwiggler has a 100 post requirement for posting for sale items (to deter scammers) and there's a good trades thread here...

no - have you tried contacting Synthrotek?

ps good luck with that they're (anecdotally) not known for being helpful, unlike most other modular compnies...