This would make my little effects box even more mediocre. But if anybody can give me an advice how I can fill up the 8HP from the 995 with flashy modules that suit my desire (at least 3 attenuators and a flexible LFO to modulate the Z5000) I might follow these suggestions. Thanks!
-- Jockl

don't doepfer do a 4hp quad attenuator and a 4hp quad lfo? I just checked, yes to both - more utilitarian than flashy though

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

well there's absolutely nothing in there that I'd put in - including the case

1. start with a bigger case - you'll probably want to expand from this once you've got it and having the space already available will save you buying another case... bigger cases are often better value per hp and have better power solutions - tiptop mantis is near perfect starter case - buy (or make from cardboard) blank panels to cover the unused space

2. as a multi-effect unit I'd want one with a screen so it's easy to work out what algo you have loaded - fx aid pro would be my choice... because if you decide that you want another multi-effect you can then buy another one - either the standard of the xl and if you set it up right you can use the pro as a reference for the algos on the others - 1st 32 algos on the pro match the 32 algos on the other modules...

3. I wouldn't buy b-company modules without comparing modules from other companies - ie don't just buy something because it's cheap... find the one that you actually want - spend a lot more time researching before you buy...

4. you'll probably want to amplify the sub37 so it's actually at modular levels for processing

5. you will want more modulation and utilities than you think - these will exponentially increase the flexibility of the rack - they take up space - back to get a bigger case!!!

something to consider is that in order for a modular designed as an effects processor to be worthwhile - it is a full blown modular synthesizer, with an external sound source replacing the vcos - everything else is identical...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

and the actual link to the OPs public rack so we can actually do stuff like mouse over and click through...

@echo7 - this is infinitely better for us - you'll get better advice etc...

ModularGrid Rack

the Make Noise LxD is EXACTLY what I'm looking for, but retailers are all sold out and people are listing them on Reverb for INSANE prices ($300-$500). Did Make Noise discontinue it without saying anything? Why are these so hard to find?
-- noahnicholsmusic

I don't think the lxd is discontinued - I hope not as I would also like one at some point in the future!

Make Noise are at least reasonably good at marking discontinued items as discontinued on here...

Why are they hard to find:
There has been (& still is, and will be for sometime) a global shortage of electronics components (covid -> manufacturing slow down -> distribution nightmare) - I'm guessing the vactrols are difficult to source in large quantities - and if you have only a small number of vactrols and no idea when you will get more - you'd put them in a module that has higher return and as high demand (optomix) than in a module with lower returns (lxd)

It's possible that lxds will be available again in the future, then again maybe not - don't hold your breath

Remember even Make Noise is a small company (as are all eurorack modules manufacturers) and therefore only makes small batches of modules and from time to time there will be temporary shortages of particular modules, even withoout the effects of a global pandemic - (extreme) patience is a good skill to develop!

Anyone know where to get one of these? Or anything similar?
-- Vbsmusic

have you tried clicking through and going to their distributors page?

have you tried wigglehunt?

I'm going to dm you about your video synthesis later, if you don't mind.

Please feel free - always happy to answer questions etc...

Jim

personally I think the hector and empress zoia are the opposite of modular philosophy - basically just a computer in a module format - I'd rather use vcv rack & I really don't like that either - real knobs (ie full size ones as much as possible possible), real jacks, real switches, real patch cables, real modular!!!!

money is only money - a modular synth is something else entirely and much more valuable and worthwhile!

I've seen you speak about this before, Jim. I know how much you love the pro. It is definitely a solution.

-- yeahivandalizm

haha yeah - I don't actually have a pro, just an xl, but I intend to get one at some point in the future - and implement this trick that I saw someone else suggest somewhere - probably modwiggler - I've generally only used it for the lofi setting which I did know the position of - but I want to re-flash it and use it for other stuff - will have to remember to print out the pdf this time!!!

I'm currently leaning towards Mutable Instruments modules, but many of them are quite large for such a limited space. There are many clones that come in smaller sizes, so I have included them. Some, however, are still quite large. Ripples, for example, is basically just a filter, but takes up 8HP of width. I'd love to hear of any alternatives in a smaller format (doesn't have to be Mutable/clone, any nice filter under 8HP).

the obvious and sane answer to this is... get a bigger case... 6u is easily portable, unless you are a small child - I've carried a mantis (best bang for buck case there is) on trains, planes and buses quite a bit and never had a problem with it being too big to carry - and then you can stay with full size modules and benefit from the ergonomics - remember 1hp is just over 5mm (1/5 of an inch) and 3u is less than 14cm (5.25") - often newbies do not realise how small eurorack actually is!!

At 8HP each, Pam's and Disting EX were included to add lots of diverse functionality in a small space. Continuing the trend of more functionality in less space, Ochd fits many spread-out LFOs into 4HP. The remaining space was filled with a handful of 2HP modules. I'm still learning about all of the functionality of Pam's and Disting EX, and they might be able to cover many functions that I might be attempting to get out of other modules, so let me know if anything seems obvious.

too many tiny (2hp) modules next to each other - they will be (virtually - at best) unusable

this rack will be horrible to play... see above bigger case, ergonomic modules

you might also consider the 2hp tm (turing machine) and tune (quantizer) which would be pretty similar in the same hp

have you read the module descriptions on here?

what is your understanding of what they can or cannot do?

I just took a quick look at the module descriptions and they seem fairly understandable...

to me the main differences appear to be:

one has more cross-fading channels and one has panning and an aux stereo input

one is 12hp one is 10hp

one draws considerably more power than the other

Thread: Last 8 Hp

I am considering taking Maths out of my case. Except for modulation, I actually use maths as an attenuator or simpler things.
-- FWGW

I always strongly suggest that anyone considering taking Maths out of their rack download the 'maths illustrated supplement' and work their way through it a number of times (ie more than once or twice) and concentrate on the what, why and how... Maths is way more than the sum of it's parts - but requires some effort to learn to self-patch it to get it to do more than the obvious surface functionality - the effort is more than worth it - as it will translate to a large extent to other modules and to modular patching in general...

"another alternative might be a Happy Nerding FX Aid Pro..."

Another second for the fx aid series. Any of the FX Aid guys are great, as long as you can keep up with what dot means what.
-- yeahivandalizm

the pro version has a screen and holds all the algorithms - so much easier to deal with, without a cheat sheet

if you buy a pro and an xl for example & plan a bit ie set the order of the 1st 32 algorithms to be the same as the other fx aid then you can use the pro as the cheat sheet for the other module

Just a reminder about the MicroFreak: It has a CV and Gate output as well as clock in and output. So you can clock it from your modular rig but you can't sequence it. I eventually got rid of mine because of this so just wanted to highlight it.

that would be a good reason to sell it and put the money towards modules to me

As general feedback I would say that your rack looks like the rack of someone that has done research about modular but has no experience actually using one. I know that might sound a bit harsh but I also think it's perfectly natural. The thing about modular is that (especially among beginners), there's always this drive to try to maximize "functions per HP" and try to squeeze as many functions as possible out of your modular. In theory, this makes sense since modules are expensive but in practice, it leads to frustration and an unusable system. Planning a rack is a useful exercise to do, myself I have a couple of racks here on MG where I just play around with different ideas. I'm not gonna tell you to look into module X, Y or Z but rather: Buy the least amount of modules you can start with then figure out what you're missing or what's frustrating you about your current setup, then try to solve that problem. It can definitely be worth having fewer modules if the ones you get fits you better and makes your system more fun/easier to use.

I've never seen anyone that's been able to plan a full system without actually using it and I don't think this system is any exception to that rule. I think your system is very unbalanced and probably not very ergonomic but the best way for you to know how to balance your system is to start small and slow. The only thing that I know for sure is that your modular system will never turn out the way you plan it to.
-- exzs

this is all great advice - another thing to realise that comes up again and again is how small modules actually are... 1hp = 1/5" - they are very small and a lot of new users are surprised by how small modules actually are... lots of small modules next to each other will be impossible to play - especially if they have trimmers (not to mention how inexact trimmers can be) - fewer, larger modules with less panel furniture are much nicer to actually play!

Thanks for taking the time to answer me.

NP

Yes you're right about it all, I've considererd what you said and yes and I'm going to redesign from start my rack, and planning to use a Mantis rack or a Case From Lake rack (don't know why, but I like the 1U modules hehe, just maybe for utilities yeah)

personally I think this makes light of the importance of utilities... but each to their own... I've never found anything that warrants 1u - I'd always rather just add an extra 3u (I DIY most of my cases) as they cost the same to build (at least in terms of hardware and barely anything extra in terms of wood) they really just save 3.5" in height and take up more than that saving in width...

About the MI modules, yes I know that, planning on buying clones on second hand modules.
Don't know why but I like the turing machine too, maybe just not use all the expanders yeah, and why not try marbles.

I have marbles, it works slightly differently than a TM, in terms of how it generates the signal, but marbles does have the advantage of 3 quantized cv outputs, 1 random output and 3 triggers/gates in a single module in 18hp (or less in the case of some clones - pachinko is acceptable at 14hp - but smaller it'll be fiddly) and remember the TM needs quantizing!

Same goes for ramapage and maths, I've looked up both and even now, don't know what module is best for my use (maybe I should start by knowing what I really want to do, that will surely help!), but yeah math was my first choice.

swings and roundabouts to a large extent - but I'd rather have Maths - spend time with it and the supplement and try to understand the what, why, how of it...

And again, you're right, same goes for the sound sources, I just wanna be sure that I had enough, but 2-3 is already enough for a rack that size I suppose?
Didn't know about the size of the modules and for the 2hp modules then, thanks for the advice!

lots of 2hp modules together is miserable...

I'll repost my rack when I'll be satisfied with it, if I could get your opinion then, would be great!

Thanks again!

NP again - just post the new one in this thread and I'll get a notification

I think 104hp is going to be too small for the amount of variation you are hoping to achieve (twinkly and abrasive).

I agree with this... and point out that black maths and PNW are unobtanium

To maximize space and gain a lot of different functions in 10hp with no menu diving, I HIGHLY recommend one of the Noise Engineering Versio modules. You can flash them with different firmware (super easy process) for the task at hand. I love the Desmodus (reverb/delay), Melotus (granular), and Ruina (distortion) firmwares. Melotus could cover your Clouds needs in a smaller footprint and give you access to even more functions if you choose to pursue them. This is one of the better investments I have made in euro.
-- farkas

another alternative might be a Happy Nerding FX Aid Pro...

although tbh in lots of cases I want more than 1 of these functions at once - delay and reverb and granular for example! so maybe at least a couple of these types of things are a good idea... which leads us back to get a bigger case!!!

don't get a smaller rack - unless you are just going to loose the 1u - ie get a mantis - you could buy 2 mantises for about the same price as a intellijel performer case

but then I don't like 1u - I'd always rather have an extra 3u and haven't yet seen anything in 1u that can't be found in 3u for much less hp - and relegating utilities to 1u imo

mantis is by far the best compromise for hp/cost/decent power supply/manufacturer reputation - unless you absolutely must have 1u for some reason (as I noted above I haven't found one)

the mutable modules are going to be potentially difficult to get hold - as mutable has closed and used modules may attract a premium - there are clones that are available though - there are full size ones now though - from After Later Audio for example.. stages may be particularly difficult though...

saying that I'd consider swapping out the turing machine and expanders and look at something smaller and does something similar (mutable marbles, for example)

you almost definitely don't need both rampage and maths in a case this size - I'd just get maths as it has beeter documentation (the 'maths illustrated supplement') and a lot of youtube video lessons

again you almost defintely don't want so many sound sources in a case this size - 2 or 3 is a better fit - as there is no way you can fit the modules that you need to support them in the leftover space - ie enough sound modifiers, modulation sources and utilities (mixers, vcas etc etc) see my signature for some hints on this!!

I'd also strongly advise not to put 2hp modules next to each other - especially ones that have trimmers on them - they will be almost impossible to adjust especially once they are patched - eurorack modules are really quite small (to the point that a lot of people are surprised how small they are when their 1st ones arrive) - 5hp = 1 inch/2.54cn

in the first tranche:

I wouldn't buy so many multiples - probably just the switched one - and you probably don't need that many in the future either in this size case - I'd just use stackcables or headphone splitters for passives, if you need buffered ones for pitch (or because repatching passives during performance can add clicks, or because you have a module that stops maths working because it's input isnt buffered & maths expects a buffer) then add a buffered one in the future - but not now

I'd also get a different vca - one with a variable response (the doepfer octal is linear only so best for cv or with exponential envelopes if using for audio) and that cascades (ie is also a mixer - if you can find one a mutable veils is a good choice (or a clone) or an intellijel quad vca - this will also, at least in the beginning replace a mixer - so you can leave the mixer out too!! not that you won't want a lot of mixing and vcas in the future, just that they are unnecessary to start with

I'd also consider swapping out the bcompany dual vcf - for a couple of different filters - so you get different flavours - doepfer make a decent selection of inexpensive 8hp filters - I like the moogish ladder filter, the SEM, the WASP and the Low Pass Gate (which is a combination of a low pass filter and a vca)

I'd also be tempted to replace the doepfer dual attenuator with a couple of 2hp trim modules - and scatter them so they are usable (tiny trimmers)

hope this helps

in the filled case :

the quantizer is superfluous - hermod and Pams both have built in quantizers...

I'd probably get mixers with knobs so you can have some control rather than the intellijel ones - maybe one designed for audio - possibly something based on the moog cp3 - as it has some nice grit it can add - and a separate one for modulation - I like a matrix mixer - but to cram one in you'd probably need to loose the tetrapad - which I personally would do (and leave it for the inevitable 2nd case and add tete)

the clock divider is also probably superfluous - pams has a lot of clock division (and multiplication for that matter) functionality - and will probably be enough in this size case

rings works very well through a filter - or one for each output...

what does the volca manual expect as a clock - usually stated as ppqn (pulses per quarter note)? - can the beatstep be set up to send this?

what voltage is the volca expecting as a clock? the beatstep might not be sending out enough voltage, in which case an amplifier of some sort would be needed...

If you want to be perfect, make sure that your tuning note is an "a". But this is already academic, there is no real reason, as long as it is only your oscillator that must be in tune to your samples.
-- Durst

um, usually the lowest note of a sequencer, that uses actual notes, is a 'c' so tuning to a 'c' makes more sense - or to an interval from a 'c; - so that every note is an interval from 'c' alternately substitute a different root note for the c - and then the sequencer plays intervals to that root note

this also works with most quantizers as they don't care about root note... and if they do they're usually sending notes relative to 'c' (0v is usually c0)

Hey again @JimHowell1970! Thanks again for the response, super helpful! I'll consider what you said and keep tetris-ing ;) You've been a big help!
-- slysteezy

No problem - happy to be of help!

there is a sale on Plaits at a local store. I really enjoy what I've heard from Beads and Plaits in particular.

do not think about this just buy them if you wwant them - they will be gone soon enough and there will be no more (originals) and I've already seen big premiums on used modules... some of the clones seem ok - especially the full size ALA ones - the micro ones do not appeal to me at all so haven't really looked

I have use of my partner's East Beast and was wondering if this mash up of the EB and Mutable Instruments could be a workable starting point.

Possibly...

How are you going to play it? melodic & trigger/gate sequencing - via cv/midi? dedicated sequencer/computer? or a keyboard - again midi or cv? if the eastbeast has a sequencer built in you will probably break normalisation by patching it out - you'll want a buffered mult for pitch and maybe a passive for trigger/gate/envelope

How are you going to mix the outputs & listen to it?

How are you going to modulate it? Plaits has an internal (only) lfo - and I suspect the eastbeast has 1 too... which hopefully can be patched out, but does that cut normalisation - in which case you will want a way multiply the signal (again a passive mult) to send to other modulation inputs and replace the internal (normalised) routing in the eastbeast

for passive mults stack cables or headphone splitters will do - but lots of people like modules for these - all are useful and a lot of people (myself included) have all 3

get a much bigger case than you think you will need - as you will need it... a tiptop mantis is a very good starter case - it's the best bang for buck of size/cost/decent power supply/manufacturer reputation

see my signature for hints on how to expand from here sensibly - the equation scales very well from the 1st few modules all the way up to walls of modules

Hi Jim, thanks for the thoughtful response! I'm considering your advice right now! What type of utilities would you recommend in addition to what I have in the case already?

logic, matrix mixer, slew limiters, switches, sub-mixers etc etc - but you do need to work this out yourself, through research and experimentation - doepfer and ladik are definitely manufacturers to look at as both do a wide range of utilities that are inexpensive - remember in most cases utilities (including vcas) are for modulation as well as audio!

btw doesn't the vector have quantization built in?

Update: I'd really rather keep the Data in if possible, but slimmed down the drum and synth voices to add on the XAOC expanders.
-- slysteezy

I'm not suggesting necessarily getting rid of the DATA, just moving it out of the main case - I don't think you'll need it constantly (at least once you start to hear what's happening) - I've never had an oscilloscope in the rack - I could use one in vcv rack if needed though - although tbh I never have

Thank you very much my friend. A friend of mine is taking care of it!

-- orys

That's good... hope it gets fixed!

to me it looks like too many voices for this size case - not enough utilities to support them - see my signature for some handy hints!!

maybe you've kept your original, smaller case... so you can use it for overspill - I'd definitely consider putting the DATA in it, along with some of the other modules - this would free up space for more utilities (including more vcas) and the expanders for batumi and zadar, which are really useful

I'd spend more time looking at mixing - at a quick glance it looks like you don't have enough channels and don't have enough submixing - mix drums before filtering for example

How are you intending to quantize your 2hp TM? - DM me if you want to buy a used 2hp TM and Trim (quantiser) pair...

too much space dedicated to sequencing, sound sources and compressor (there are many much smaller ones that do just as good a job and are possibly available - iirc wladorf discontinued all their modules) - and not enough space for modulation or utilities (see my signature for some hints!)

So when you do a firmware update do you have to re-calibrate?
-- wishbonebrewery

iirc you shouldn't need to - manual states calibration is only for correcting inaccuracies of modulation sources - but at least the calibration procedure is in the manual (if it is needed)

Just did a quick google and couldn't see any mention of re-calibrating

I'm probably going to to this update myself tomorrow or Monday, so I'll let you know if I have any issues!

Anyone got the Rectangular thing guys? I have a DIY unit and can't figure out how modulation works.
None of the MOD knobs do anything and nothing happens with external modulation through the dedicated MOD input.
-- orys

I'd contact Stijn above - you should be bale to private message him - however it seems like you probably have some defects in your build - so posting hi-res photos of the board to somewhere that's more oriented towards DIY might be a good idea - Modwiggler's Music Tech DIY subforum would be my choice!

good luck!

and the link to the public rack - as jpgs are shite!!!

ModularGrid Rack

I agree with @GarfieldModular

blind panel and save the money towards a second case - that way you'll have space for some utilities - which appear to be sadly lacking from your case

a filter will filter any audio signal

the only thing to watch out for is that most non-modular signals will be significantly quieter than modular level - so you will want to amplify the input signal - there are dedicated input modules available or you could use a vca that catually amplifies the input - such as veils (or a clone as it is discontinued) which has over 20dB gain available per channel...

nb most vcas don't increase gain - so make sure if you go the vca route that you find one that has ample gain available

Thread: Prototype

why scales when the output of the moskwa is already quantized?

2 large filters but a shrunken plaits?

are you intending to sequence the poly cinematic using midi from the mpc? if not, I would want a sequencer with many more channels - at least 2 for this (on top of at least 1 other - for the t-sl and beehive) - root note and chord type will want to be sequenced

I'd definitely want more mixing (as suggested by @farranadsr) including mono (with panning) and stereo inputs and a stereo output (preferably one that can be limited to 'line level-ish' to avoif the i/o module (veils has enough gain if you need an input) but I'd also suggest that 2 voices (vco + filtter) is too many for this case and that realistically 2 + support modules (envelopes/vcas/mixing/logic/slew/attanuation/etc etc) I'd also want to leave space for more vcas - once you realise they can be incredibly useful for modulation as well as audio you will want more of them

the fair price is what you are prepared to pay for it

some modules are normally scarce (not just because of the current ongoing global) situation - this is one of them

ie demand outstrips supply and therefore used modules command a premium

if you only want to pay retail find a dealer that will take pre-orders or contact the manufacturer and have patience, lots of patience...

too many sound sources in too small a rack (I'd say 1 is ideal in this size case - not 4) - not enough utility etc modules to support them adequately

potentially massive overlap with O&C/alan/pams - all can do turing thing type stuff - personally with multiple sound sources I would just go for a Marbles (or clone ALA are doing a full size one) as this will provide up to 3 quantized loopable random pitch sources (and related gates plus a random source for modulation)

to me the mixing solution seems poor... most people seem to want to use plaits and rings (resonate) as stereo sound sources - whilst the only real mixer is the quad vca - which doesn't have enough inputs to handle all the outputs and whilst it could be used for stereo mixing - would limit you to just mixing rings and plaits - and you would have no mixer channels for the mono sources or for sub-mixing - and no vca channels left over for modulation

I'd want more filters and more effects at the least reverb and delay too

I'd probably go for a larger case to accommodate - these changes - for me it would be a tiptop mantis, but that would loose the 1u and the built in functionality (which is to some extent useful, if you want that functionality - but I never have) and even then I'd only be looking to put 2 (or at a push 3 voices) in

not as far as I know - iirc you don't actually need to sign up to paypal - you can just use it to process a card payment

please post a link to your actual rack (ie the url) and not just to an image - this really helps us help you!!!! you will need to make the rack public...

I'd have done it for you if your rack was public!

get a bigger case - perhaps a mantis - not only much better value for money, but you will need it eventually - which means you may end up only buying one case...

don't expect to get a black maths - they are unobtanium - generally only available as part of a shared system

probably the best way to do this is to slave Pam's to Ableton (or any other DAW)

create an audio track in your DAW and paste a kick drum sample on every 16th note... send this to an output on your audio interface - you may need to mess around a bit with volume to get it to work properly

save this as a template - so you can use it for other sessions in the future - tempo should properly match session tempo, it does for me in Logic

patch the audio output to the clock in on Pam's and set up Pams to use 4ppqn (parts per quarter note) and to run/stop on receipt of clock

this will give you much more solid clock than using midi in (audio always has higher priority in computer operating systems than midi)

seems like you have a decent number of effects modules already

a matrix mixer... especially when used to combine copies of the modulation sources you already have to generate some more interesting ones...

Thread: Flame Curves

Is this a MuRF for Eurorack?! I just discovered this!
-- boe_dye

looks very, very similar...

Great fx unit. Only downside is not being able to tell what fx algorithms are in the firmware because of no display. If you don't memorize it you have to use a saved algorithm list to see the fx parameters.
-- VerifiedPersonae

or you could get a pro to put beside it and have the 1st 32 algos identical to those on the xl

or just use your ears!!!

suggestions:

bigger case - you'll want to expand almost immediately as this is already nearly full and is very very limiting and in a lot of cases overly cramped

whilst I don't normally like the words redundancy or overlap in relation to modular synthesis - because in (even slightly) larger systems it is to be encouraged to a great extent - I would dump either steppy or numeric repetitor - pams and one of these will be more than enough

get the quadrattor instead of the duatt - or add some vcas in the 1u row

consider bigger fx unit - fx aid xl - or preferably pro - instead of the pico - ergonomics are important - 3hp is very small and fiddly

same for a mixer - ergonomics are important - 3hp is very small and fiddly

add another filter - or an lpg that can be used as a filter or an lpg

yes - buffered for pitch & possibly triggers/gates if you are re-patching whilst playing - otherwise passives are fine

Switchy Glitchy-Icicle Sound:
— Start with a Boring Sound > Send it to your Buffered Multiple and split it into 2 copies.
— Sound 1 goes into Data Bender and into Veils 1-2.
— Sound 2 goes into Beads (Scorched Cassette mode) and into Veils 3-4.
— Split a single LFO and invert one copy in 321. Send each to Veils 1-2, 3-4. (Split the inverted copy for later)
... Now the sound will rotate between two crunchy variations, call it "Data Blending Grains of Beads". Mix down in Stmix or send to Morph 4 for deeper crossfading with a another source.

None of these need a buffered mult - a passive will be more than adequate

Note: If you don't have them already, you'll wanna get Rings, Beads, and Veils ASAP as they have stopped production. If memory serves, Perfect Circuit is the last place that has Veils and Beads for sale. Rings is gonna be tricky to find available in a store, so you might have to swap in a Rings clone instead.
-- Toccata

ALA appear to be making full size clones - I'd goo with those if you have to go for a clone - there are some reasonably priced used modules available too, if you look hard enough!

please post the url of your public rack - jpgs are shit for getting us to help you!!!

I'd consider a tiptop mantis - slightly smaller than the intellijel as no 1u row - but don't get me started on them (I'm not a fan) - it's portable - mine has been in planes, trains, buses and cars quite a bit with no problems - even in the basic padded case - there are also briefcase sty;e hard cases available if needed

do you have too many utilities? almost definitely not - see my signature - I'd say 30%+ of your rack being utilities is where you want to be... probably more - but I do include both sequencers and controllers as 'utilities'

personally I don't think you can have too many sequencers - I've got 5 or so - but I have a much larger rack - so you might want to consider getting rid of the mimetic digitalis - however, you could also use it for modulation purposes... if you want 'generative' then marbles is good for this so I'd keep it

if you are asking if you have enough utilities, then the answer is probably no - more attenuators/attenuverters/mixing/vcas/etc are almost always a good idea... especially once you start using them for modulation as well as audio - personally I'd add a matrix mixer - I like the doepfer due to ergonomics - but you may not be able to fit it in before the next case!! I think 30% of rack space being utilities is a good idea and then follow the advice in my signature... and I'm not a fan of output modules - more utilities = more control!

I'd be tempted to go for smaller attenuverters, if you can fit them in as well as a matrix mixer, possibly 2hp - as they do a dual in 2hp - the happy nerding 3*MIA is great if you have the space, though!

good luck finding a wmd/ssf toolbox, wmd overseer and a black maths - discontinued, about to be discontinued or just plain unobtanium....

post the url of your public rack, it really helps us help you!

can't someone help? how to get rid of the cat?

only have modules inside the rack...

and search doesn't return anything for Behringer??
-- ZenMusic

consider yourself lucky? or try looking under manufacturer...

It's not necessarily that people don't like behringer modules... it's more often that people just don't like behringer... they have had a bad reputation for making poor quality rip off products since they started... that combined with the general attitude of Uli don't really win supporters...

not all their products over the years have been poor quality, but the ones that aren't have historically been the minority... too many bad apples...