That looks like a lot of fun @ColdTurkey28, you'll have to record something and get it on our ModularGrid Best of 2020 comp! Check it out https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/9382

Sweet!

Really nice @Rassell!

Happy to, it's a cool crew here and I'm proud to be a part of it @the-erc

10 minutes should be good @the-erc, track accepted!

Sick!

One note here, the Swarm has its own case and power I think, so you could host it separately and save a bunch of space in your rack.

I believe in you @Lugia

Now I'm thinking, I wonder if we can get a @Lugia track out of this 🤔🤔🤔

Great!

It'd be nice to get this done before EOY @zuggamasta, so maybe the 28th or 29th if that's doable? Archive pieces are accepted if that's a tight timeframe.

Everything you've posted so far's been rad @wishbonebrewery, WradioPhonik would fit in just fine!!

I've been working on live acid jams (@mylarmelodies has been a big inspo there) and dreaming about playing out post-Covid, hopefully should have something to share soon.

Also, listening to this again for the first time in a bit, great tune @farkas

Track #1 down, thanks @farkas! Now, who's next? 🙌

I was thinking the other day about all the great tunes folks've posted here this year and how it's been a sort of a lifeline in this crazy time, and thought we should put together a Best Of ModularGrid comp for 2020, so I mentioned it to a friend running a small net label (https://communitymodularelectronic.bandcamp.com/music) and he loved the idea. If there's some interest here too I'd be happy to put it together and celebrate everybody's journeys in this crazy time. So! If you like the idea and want to contribute a track let me know! Since it's a netlabel and will be on bandcamp I think we can include anybody who wants to be a part of it, but if you submit a longer tune submit a shorter one too as backup, in case everybody wants to do a 17+ minute drone that is 🤣

So, here's looking at you @Exposure, @defragmenteur, @Rassell, @mowse, @sacguy71, @funbun, @aphew_goodman, @zuggamasta, @farkas, @yalivec, @GarfieldModular, @mog00, @wishbonebrewery, @the-erc, @cyberneticOhm, and anyone else I'm forgetting...

Fun piece @defragmenteur, I could almost see myself at a basement gig in the midwest, let's say 2008, with you giving us all tinnitus. Now where'd I leave my tallboy... 🤔

Listened to this again the other day @Exposure, really good work, hopefully we hear more soon.

Nice! I've been working on some long form acid jams myself, if only I could remember to record them...

Mimeophon and Magneto are fantastic in my experience, Clouds, so so, FX Aid gets good reviews from me but not quite as powerful as the rest.

I think we might be 🤣🤣🤣

It's the modulargrid Mind Meld @farkas lol

Nice one @lugia, I copied that for future reference.

I'm sure others will chime in with great advice, but IMHO the problem here is that you just don't have enough modulation or basic utilities (a common problem round these parts), and without those patchability goes down quite a bit... and you might as well use a desktop synth. I have a set of modules I tend to recommend for that, Links, Kinks, Batumi, O/a/x2, Zadar, add a few of those and then you could probably use a distortion module or a wavefolder, maybe some of the Noise Engineering modules. If you move in that direction I think you'll find some possibilities open up and that you'll keep learning.

Oohh, that Pan Mix looks like @farkas, I might have to sneak one into my acid rack.

This isn't going to work exactly like you imagine, and I think you'll want to put a few more utilities in here (Links and Kinks come to mind as always), but I'm a bit more optimistic about this rack than @lugia, depending of course on what you're trying to accomplish. Keep us updated on what you find is or isn't working and we can help you iterate from there.

I've been building something similar but different for Acid, and I'm curious what you're using for your drum sequencing here, does the Maestro handle that?

Nice 90s industrial techno vibes @sacguy71, I see you have a Morpheus too. What do you think about it? It looks pretty impressive but I'm not sure I want it just yet 🤔🤔

Expertly designed piece @aphew_goodman, love the balance between all the voices and the tension and letting go. Well done!

I like that @merzky_shoom, I'll give it a shot myself.

This made me miss the mountains @farkas, very interesting, and thanks for sharing.

IMHO you can't fit drums into an ambient rack of this size because you need effects plus better modulation tools to do ambient well. I took a crack at what I'd build, see below:

ModularGrid Rack

For effects, I added a delay (Chronoblob2), a granular processor (Monsoon), and a dedicated reverb (Erbe-verbe). I switched up some of the mixers, including adding a Mixup which is stereo and a DTM which does nice warm distortion if desired, added a Maths (which I always do), attached a Nin to the Zadar so you can use the Zadar as a playable tool (including long changes over time), threw in a Sloth for weird modulation, swapped an STO for a Dixie II+ (no reason to duplicate modules this early in your journey and Dixie also functions as an LFO), and dropped a Kinks in for good measure.

Weaknesses: I'm not an expert on a lot of the MI modules here so I may be missing something, it's light on attenuators (with only those in Maths and your VCAs), and I would personally probably want a second filter (I'd probably pick a Doepfer ladder over a Wasp though).

Anyway, hopefully this provides some useful ideas!

Thread: Rendering

In that case take a look at this, it's designed off a rack @lugia put together to solve a similar problem, but you'd swap the Arbhar in for the Lubadh.

ModularGrid Rack

Your version would end up like so:

ModularGrid Rack

Nice jam @mowse!

Looks solid to me @ColdTurkey28, can't wait to hear what you make with it.

Nice jam @EroGumby, lots of great work by the lead here, I love the variation and can tell you're having fun. Looking forward to more.

I don't know what your goals are, but in this space and retaining at least one of each of the Doepfer modules and all of the more unique modules (the Quantic and the Eudemonia), this is what I'd go with:

ModularGrid Rack

Principles I was working from:
1) You don't need so many duplicate modules, especially without having used them
2) There's a core of modules that cover a lot of ground and will excel in any small rack, Links, Kinks, Maths, Disting, and FX Aid (XL or not), and that are generally reasonably priced. I would personally not start a 6U rack without them, the Maths and FX Aid being the most important.
3) Having a sequencer around is always a plus, especially with a quantizer (the Disting), so I added a Tirana II.
4) I aimed to keep the price in the same range, but added about $500. I think it's more than worth it here.
5) You had too many oscillators in the original, not enough utilities. Additionally, the Doepfer VCOs don't strike me as full featured enough for the HP they take up here, hence the Dixie 2+

I haven't used Tetra, or either the 4MS sampler or the Morphogene, but taking a quick look the Tetra looks like it'd slot in quite nicely here and actually do a lot more than the Pressure Points. Good call. I can't speak to 4MS vs Morphogene, but to the Telharmonic, I find that I really like putting a module I haven't had luck with into a smaller rack where I can start to focus on it and learn its ins and outs more thoroughly. It does seem to be a well-regarded module, so if you've not had success with it in the past maybe this is a chance to fix that, and if it doesn't work out you've got two other oscillators anyway... That said, either a Plaits or a Rings could take its place and do quite nicely I think.

Whatever you do, let us know, and I hope we get to hear some tunes! Which makes me think, you might want to swap a Disting in so you can record on the go, nice module huh?

Yep, it was very noticeable! Looking forward to your next tune.

I somehow lost my post, so you're getting the shortened version, but I put together a drone/ambient rack for you that's similar to the 104 x 6U case I've been working with a lot lately. ModularGrid Rack

It's got 3 VCOs, tons of effects and modulation, a pinch of touch control, I skimped on mixing (using the Quad VCA and Links for that, also notice the HPO I added that you don't have), but all together I think you could get some really nice texture and movement out of this. The only question open in my mind is whether I'd swap the Terci Ruina for the Clep Diaz, you might already have more than enough CV control, and distortion opens up a lot of possibilities...

Thread: Rendering

I had the same thoughts as @Lugia. @Orium what are you looking to produce with this? That might help us get you pointed down the right path.

@yalivec, this is lovely, and maybe just the right length actually ;p

I'll say I especially like the space in this, lots of room to digest the sound, I often end up taking a maximalist approach myself but it can be overwhelming (see for example my "doin dishes" album on Bandcamp). So, well done! I might try to copy this patch!

Anyway, have you checked out the Recollections GRM label on Bandcamp? It's worth it if you're into the classics, lots of undiscovered or less known bangers including my favorite Jaap Vink https://recollectiongrm.bandcamp.com/album/s-t

ROFLMAO @ kilos of reverb @GarfieldModular, I love that, being guilty of a little "Reverb Trafficking" myself...

That was me @wishbonebrewery and I'm thrilled to be such a bad influence, er that people are taking up the challenge I mean 🤣🤣 This rules, love the cinematic feel and the space of it, good sound design too but everything coming together. Looking forward to more.

Same to you @farkas, this board has been a nice lifeline during all this, I'm thankful for it and for everyone here.

@GarfieldModular, great idea with this 17 minutes thing, I'll chime in and second that 🧘‍♂️🧘‍♂️

@mowse, nice one again, good intensity too, looking forward to the next one.

I'm gonna be a contrarian and chime in to say, not recording can be its own boon too, just let things flow, have fun, keep the patch changing. I personally like to wait to record til I really think I'm ready which incentivizes me not to get stuck on something that * sounds good * but that's really just ok or not where I'm trying to go. This also pushes me a bit to keep improving until I'm really happy with the tune rather than a "ok, got some good sections in there." Anyway, YMMV but my 2 cents.

In that case Pittsburgh Modular should put it out to drive purchases of their ridiculously amped cases lol (which I do love for the record).

Really fantastic @mowse, I always love the liveliness of your underlying rhythm lines, the accents and dynamics really seem to come out perfectly every time, I've gotta figure that out!! As always, thanks for sharing.

Sounds like a new module idea @Lugia, "press a button and get a random Oblique Strategy" 🤣